Pages

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Changing Frame



Sacred trees surround my computer monitor,
A frame created by a window overlooking their ravine.
I gaze at that frame each time I sit at this amazing machine.
My favorite frame is green – lush verdure.
I drink it in and it nourishes my soul.

For a brief time in fall other favorite colors burst forth
to frolic before my eyes in autumn splendor.
Then, too soon, the trees stoically shed their brilliant colors,
dropping their leaves carelessly as if shaking off a burden.
The trees are ready for winter.  I am not.

The frame changes again to show trees without leaves,
revealing cold beauty.
And with this beauty melancholy plagues me, as
I anticipate a frame awash in shades of gray.

I gaze at the frame, picturing in my mind’s eye
the tender green of spring that is waiting to come forth.
I watch the trees as they rest, replenishing their strength.
I am impatient.  But the trees are wise.  They know.

Lynn Ross
October 14, 2010


4 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is absolutely beautiful! So glad you are blogging these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! I'm glad you liked it. I've only recently learned how to respond, so I'm late in expressing my appreciation.

      Delete